Thursday 7 February 2013

I will light a candle...

I have been deeply affected this week by the sudden passing of a little girl that I had never heard of before...

I do not know her family, I don't follow her mother on twitter and I have never set eyes on her blog, but like hundreds (thousands?) of others, her passing has touched my heart.

The news spread fast, I could feel the anguish of strangers through the screen as I scrolled through the condolences and sadness and shock in the twitter community...

My heart has been stuck in my throat ever since I heard about the sudden passing of sweet, beautiful, lovely little Matilda Mae. She was 9 months old, she had beautiful brown eyes, she had a big bright smile... Her mother found her asleep in her cot... But she wasn't sleeping...

I have kissed Elijah a little more this week. Held him a little tighter, watched him sleeping - chest rising... falling... rising again... and prayed to whoever is out there that I never in my life experience what her family is going through.

I have read information on the SIDS
website over and over. I have removed all toys from his cot. I have cleaned a mould spot off his bedroom wall. I have been grateful that he dislikes blankets and prefers a sleep suit. I have cried for what a family of strangers have lost. I have felt gratitude for what I have...

I will light a candle for Matilda Mae... I have to do something...

I will never forget a little girl that I never met.


http://www.sidsandkids.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment