Sunday 28 July 2013

Elijah turns one!

I find it hard to believe that it was a whole entire year ago that we were welcoming our son into the world. A YEAR!

I remember vividly the flood of relief when I heard his first cry, I remember feeling completely overwhelmed throughout Jo's labour but knowing it was all ok the first time I laid eyes on him, I remember taking him over to meet Jo while they were putting all her bits and pieces back together, I remember knowing that he would make my life more amazing each day, and he has.

We've had rough days, rougher nights, vomit, poop, pee, snot, blood, tears, moments of pure bliss, moments of total uncertainty. We've learned a lot about parenting, about each other, about ourselves. It's been a rollercoaster with the highs, the lows, that feeling of your stomach dropping and complete elation (sometimes all within the same day!). We've had sleepless nights, family snuggles, tickles, raspberries, kisses, pinchy little fingers and sharp little teeth.

Every moment, good and bad has brought us here - we are the very proud mums of a one year old boy who is absolutely everything we could ever want.

I'd like to thank everyone that has read, commented, offered advice and answered questions. I'd like to say special thank you to the ladies over at My Two Mums, who have been there from the very start when we found each other on a pregnancy app. They're kind, generous, have a great blog and a gorgeous son Monkey who was born just a few days after Elijah. It's been a pleasure to be on this journey with them, even if it's from across the pond!




All the memories, mushiness and thank you's aside, it's time to talk about the PARTY!

We decided on a woodland themed party at our home, a simple gathering with family and close friends. I had images of a gorgeous party with beautiful decorations and an indulgent food table thanks to all of the amazing images I found on Pinterest. I had the best of intentions... There was to be a three layered cake with fancy frosting, there was to be gorgeous decorations and woodland animal masks... hmmmmm.

It rained all day. The cake turned out dry and I decided against the fancy frosting technique at the last minute and let him have it as a smash cake, with cupcakes for the guests. Elijah bawled his eyes out for almost the entirety of the party. The food table looked nothing like it was supposed to and the masks fell apart as soon as the kids touched them haha!

But do you know what? None of that matters! Even though the party didn't turn out like the ones on Pinterest or in the magazines, it was our party - it was a day to celebrate our son turning one with our loved ones. We weren't blessed with good weather, but we were blessed with guests who absolutely showered Elijah with lovely gifts, we were blessed to be able to celebrate it together. We had people travel from hours away to celebrate with us. We even had story time with his great great Aunty, which was so special that I tear up just thinking about it. It was the best first birthday ever.

I'll leave you with some photos from the day x


 

 
 
 


 
 

 





 

2 comments:

  1. I've nominated you for a Liebster award :). I'll post the questions that go with it soon on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. The first year is such a special one with the huge learning curve and all the love. Glad the party was a success, even if it didn't go as planned.

    Happy Birthday Elijah!

    ReplyDelete